Thursday, February 4, 2010

Who can I sue for false arrest?

In the summer, I was pulled over in Burbank for not making a complete stop at the stop sign. When the poloice looked me up in the system, he notified me that i had not paid an old ticket. I had just gone to the court to pay it a couple days prior. i showed him the paperwork and he said '; I'm going to be nice and take away your license and not issue you a ticket for the violation. If you take your paperwork to court and prove you paid your ticket to them, you will get your license back and you won't receive a fine.'; He let me go home. I then went to court and DMV and paid what necessay and I received my license right away. Now, 4 months later, a cop pulls me over (I made a u-turn) in LA and he arrests me because he says I'm driving with a suspended license. i told him I didn't have a suspended license. He looked me up once again in the system and he came back and said that my license WAS valid, however, there was still a warrant for my arrest for driving with a suspended license in the summer. I was booked and in the LA jail where I was told I had to post $5,000 bail or spent 4 days in jail. When they called Burbank city jail where they had to transport me to (where the warrant issued), they came and said that burbank did not want to deal with me because I was pregnant and therefore I was let go and no bail was needed. I don't think they would just let me go because I was pregnant! The LA jail had no issue with keeping me there while pregnant! I feel like they called the Burbank jail and Burbank realized that they made a mistake and didn't want to own up to it, so they used the excuse that I was pregnant to let me go. I went from needed $5,000 cash for bail to zero! Someone messed up somewhere and I paid the price with it! I lost a day's work and i suffered emotional distress. When I finally got home, my body was aching from all the anxiety I had been put through. I wasn't able to pick up my daughter from school and was very close to having spent 4 days in jail. I'm very upset and i don't want this on my record. I go to court next month.Who can I sue for false arrest?
No-one.





You can sue government agencies only under unusual circumstances, and one of the requirements is that the wrongful arrest be ';malicious';, not just a mistake.





Government agencies and employees are not liable for their mistakes.





RichardWho can I sue for false arrest?
You definitely need an attorney. You would sue whatever agencies are responsible for the error that resulted in your arrest.
You can't sue anybody and I get the feeling you're not telling us everything.
Burbank City! Good Luck!
The answer is 'UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY, DON'T BOTHER'. More to the point, you need to learn how to drive or at least learn to obey traffic signs!
The best thing to do is get a litigation attorney to look over the paper work. I don't think that you will be able to recover any money but if you want to try to squeeze some blood out of the government, an attorney is your best bet. I suggest you hire an attorney who is out of the areas where you were stopped, arrested and jailed. Attorneys who live outside of the city are more likely to help you sue it.
if you are free and can drive drop it but anything else happens get a lawyer [and dont get a attitude with cop] they are the bu hooss


mawbe the lawyer can tak the points off the record thats it
you can't sue because you almost spent 4 days in jail.





Why do you need to sue anyone anyway? There probably isn't ONE person in the system you can put the blame on. Besides, it will cost tax payers money when the government has to go on trial to defend a police officer just for doing his job.





If you had been paying your tickets on time in the first place you wouldn't have had a problem. Even if you couldn't afford the ticket at first the police will work out a payment plan if you communicate with them.





I think anything that happen to you is your own fault and you should drop the attitude that you need to sue someone everytime you have a bad day.
Hey! Listen you've got my sympathy. It looks like the cops in Burbank have very little to do. Not coming to a complete stop and a u turn and you have to spend four days in goal while your family need you at home. Are they crazy! I teach people to drive and if everyone of them who didn't come to a complete stop were gaoled for............ four days then... what can I say.
You have no case.


The police officer acted in good faith based on the information he had available.


Municipalities are allowed to make mistakes, as long as it is not malicous.


Your damages are what? They let you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment